Make the ultimate sourdough bread with this recipe
1. Place the starter and hot water in a mixing bowl and break the starter into the water with your hands. Add the flour and salt and mix into a coarse dough, then pour it on the work surface and let it sit for about 5 minutes until you get an elastic and smooth dough.
2. Lightly oil your bowl and return the dough to the bowl, cover with a shower cap or a damp cloth and leave at room temperature, ideally in a warm place, for an hour.
3. Fold the dough over, cover and let stand another hour.
4. Fold the dough over, cover and let stand another hour.
5. Give the dough a third and final fold and let it rest for a final hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 210C. If you are baking your bread in a Dutch oven (saucepan), place it in the oven to heat it up. Otherwise, lightly oil a 900 g loaf pan.
7. The dough should have had a total of three folds and four hours of standing time. After the last hour of proofing, remove the dough from the bowl and shape it according to how you are going to cook it. Shape it in a round shape if you are baking in a Dutch oven, or in a standard bread shape if you are baking in a pan.
8. To cook in a Dutch oven, carefully remove the pan from the oven and gently place the dough inside, cover with the lid and cook for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
9. To bake in a pan, place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and place a tray filled with 1/4 cup of water on the bottom of the oven to create steam. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the mold over and bake for the last 10 minutes.
10. Take the baked bread out of the oven and allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Recipe courtesy: Matthew Jones – Founder, Bread Ahead Bakery and School, Expo 2020 Dubai